It was 1998 and I was a single mom, a full time student and frustrated at my 9-5 job as the secretary to the director of occupational therapy–but I was a believer. I believed that God could deliver me from having to take the bus in the snow, rain and enduring the frigid ZERO degree winter weather of New York City as my means of provision and in the process miss key moments in my teen son’s life. I didn’t know what I wanted Him to do exactly, but I know I needed a break from what seemed like a non-stop cycle on the hamster wheel of life and a check every two weeks that made laugh ever time I looked at or tried to spend it.
I prayed for God to free me from the 9 to 5 so I could be more available to my son at home. And what did God do when I earnestly prayed that? He freed me from my 9 to 5 and I self-published my first book that went on to sell lots and lots of copies (10,000 to be exact making me a 6 figure earner) without even really realizing it because my focus was just to keep pushing my book to whomever had eyes and the desire to read it.
I still had to do my part to get there. It wasn’t magic and many people ask me how I did it. Well, first I had to have the determination to start and complete it and then believe that it would be successful no matter what. By “it” of course I mean what I was led to do–write a book. Your “it” can free you. That means that even if what you’re launching isn’t a book like mine was, if you believe, you will see the fruit of that belief. I diligently wrote the book every single day on my lunch hour until it was completed, released the book and promoted not because I wanted my book to appear on legitimate best seller lists (although it did that too) but I promoted because with each sale came revenue and revenue is how I ensured my son and I would eat.
You see, I was tired of trying to inject a man into the place of provision that is God’s alone and expect him to provide, give me money or help me pay my bills when I wasn’t in a marriage covenant with any of them. I had friends who did that regularly (lining up several men so the month’s expenses were paid with ease) but having to exchange sex or even my time wasn’t worth it to me. So, when I did my part, God did His part. I wrote it (the book), and He made sure that wherever I promoted it–that it got noticed–all the way to the Michigan Citizen landing on the same page as Judge Greg Mathis announcing his new judge show. All these years later we’re both still here–him on the tv deciding cases and me, releasing books, but now coaching others how to do it too, so they can avoid the pitfalls.
I say to you, leaving my 9 to 5 wasn’t about MONEY it was about releasing me from what I felt was bondage so that I could be freed up and go forth in my calling. I wanted to be a better Mom and a better writer, yet all the while I had no idea God was pruning me to be more than even the people around me thought I could be. See yourself how God sees you. Your gifts will indeed make room for you.
When the Lord spoke through an Apostle and told me that I’d be hosting live conferences, immediately I cringed and then I braced myself to walk in obedience. I had already hosted my first virtual business conference and that was right up my alley because there was nowhere to travel to and I didn’t have to leave the comfort of my home. But God wasn’t satisfied with that. He needed me to leave my comfort zone to take me where He desired for me to go. So I launched my first LIVE conference in April 2015. When we wrapped up the 3rd Annual Grow Your Dreams Conference in April, 2016–it was renamed the Grow Your Dreams Prophetic Business Conference and I tell you this: WHEN YOU ARE OBEDIENT THEY WILL COME.
Now of course I’m talking about a conference, but the same rules apply when you’re writing a book or launching a business too. If He is telling you to do it, you better believe that He is going to pique the attention of the people He is requiring to tap into whatever it is that you are doing. I didn’t end up on The Today Show all by myself. Honestly, it’s not for us to figure out, we just have to flow with God. And that’s what I did. And what was the outcome? Lives were transformed, people were infused and ignited in their purpose and they can’t stop talking about the events and are making plans to do it again each year. Why? Because when you are obedient, God handles all the extras.
What is God urging you to trust Him with today? The steady growth of your business? The increased sales of your book? The launch of your idea, product or service? How to reach your target audience? We serve a God of miracles and yes He could totally allow you to explode and become well-known overnight. However, oftentimes, there are things that He will need for you/us to do. Our job is to get quiet, sit at His feet and get those instructions and then diligently carry them out. Once you do that, He is responsible for the growth and success of what you’ve obediently planted. I urge you today, don’t stand watching barren ground, obediently plant something and then watch for His word to testify in your life.
In reviewing the previous year I realized that there are some key things I did that shifted my business. Here are 17 of them.
1. I had a very pretty new header designed by www.ThinkCreateBuild.com. It made my website more vibrant and gave my brand a polished new look. And even though I spent most of January, 2016 trying to figure out how to change the menu bar color in my Genesis theme, I finally got help and overall I’m pleased with the outcome and all of the people who stopped by to visit.
2. A friend of mine sent me the link for Duolingo. It’s a website and app (you can use either) that teaches you the language of your choice. I’m currently working my way through Spanish and look forward to learning French. It’s fun and what I love the most is the visual and audio aspect of it as well as the fact that they not only teach you to speak the language but write it too.
3. I created a plan for my wealth as mentioned in Zari Banks’ Wealth Modules (there are 6 in total). I mapped out how I’ll get there and what I’ll do/build/create once I get the influx. I’m ready to receive my wealth.
4. I’m all about productivity. Through a group I belong to I found out about Tiago Forte and his course Get Stuff Done Like a Boss, to increase your productivity. He’s made the full course available for FREE on YouTube.
5. I attached my SixFigureYourPassion Facebook fan page to my Twitter account so that it posts automatically and then purposely started spending less time on social media so that I could produce more. You can do it too click here.
6. I did a monthly assessment on social media and disconnected from those people who aren’t benefiting me, following me back or truly interested in networking with me (with a few exceptions). I use ManageFlitter for Twitter and InsTrack for Instagram (not sure if it’s available for Android).
7. I started taking mid-day breaks and making myself a yummy snack and either turning on the tv to watch a girlie show that I know that my husband doesn’t want to watch when he gets home, reading one of the books in my stack or just putting on some music. This lightened the load in ways you wouldn’t believe as a business owner. I’m currently enjoying Lovemarks: The Future Beyond Brands and Loveworks: How the World’s Top Marketers Make Emotional Connections to Win in the Marketplace.
8. I finally put together a bunch of affordable business tools for those who keep saying they really can’t afford coaching with me. My Top 10 products are here. You can pick and choose what you purchase based on your needs and get a quick and easy download to start using and seeing results right away.
9. I unsubscribed from tons of mailing lists and catalogs that I didn’t even know I was on using the quick tool Unroll.me. Whew! It’s so much easier going into my inbox now and finding emails that I actually want/need right away.
10. I discovered some very knowledgeable and influential people in business and started following them on social media.
11. I increased my prayer life drastically. I mean instead of 30 minute intervals I’m going in for hours–like 2 hours, but it’s a vast upgrade.
12. I spent the majority of last year creating a FREE 30 Day Six Figure Challenge–you can take the challenge here.
13. I decided to create a payment plan for those who desire six figure coaching one on one with me. My goal was to work with more people who had passion and unique ideas without putting any constraints on their budget.
14. I love plugins. That’s one of the major benefits of using WordPress. I added a couple of new plugins to my business website and made sure that the ones I had installed were updated to the latest versions so that the user experience is seamless.
15. I started networking the old fashioned way–face to face. I attended a few intimate get togethers to get to know more people where I live–sometimes you have to get out from behind social media and show them who you really are.
16. I released a book on money titled “Bring Me Into A Wealthy Place” that is a key tool for a passive income coach like me.
17. I connected with a branding coach who has worked with BIG BRANDS and could assist me with reaching millions. It’s working!
As you can see, a few tweaks here and there is sometimes all it takes to SHIFT your business and brand in the right direction. What are YOU going to change this year about your business?
The art of making the deal (any deal) is wisdom—plain and simple. No matter how many years you’ve studied, how much money you’ve previously made or whether you have ivy league credentials or not—wisdom is more priceless than anything. The bible says, “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him,” James 1:5. God gives wisdom and we must employ it in life and business dealings.
My husband and I were watching Billion Dollar Buyer on CNBC where billionaire businessman Tilman J. Frittata comes to the aid of struggling businesses. On this particular episode he was attempting to assist Mr. Jed Malitz of V2 Gallery. Mr. Malitz creates unique 3D glass sculptures that he was pricing rather steeply for $200,000 a pop. He had only created 5 pieces so far and couldn’t afford to create more because he had only sold ONE single piece and could barely afford the overhead to keep the gallery open.
Mr. Frittata (the Billion Dollar Buyer) owns several hotels, seafood restaurants and spends millions each year for the upkeep of his plush establishments. Entrepreneurs know that one single purchase order from him can keep a business afloat for years. So, after being amazed by the sculptures Mr. Frittata made Mr. Malitz an offer for one of his pieces—a $100,000 offer. Mr. Malitz foolishly turned down the offer because it didn’t meet his $200,000 requirement. His problem was that (even with the urging of his wife) he wasn’t willing to budge on the price of his sculpture even though it was obvious that he set his prices based on where he hoped to arrive one day as a prestigious artist, not for the value that his sculptures have today.
Mr. Malitz is a relative unknown artist and although he may be pricing his work based on what others are charging for similar designs—comparison isn’t the measure by which you earn revenue. One thing I learned early on in business is to tweak my prices. You may WANT to sell a book, product or service for $40 but if you get too few purchases, wisdom will either show you how to market better or decrease your asking price to gain revenue and clientele. Fact is, if it becomes a hardship doing business with you, less people will do business with you and you never want that. Whether it was pride, comparison or simply a lack of trust in the process, a moment of wisdom is all he needed to seal the deal.